[cppget] How are new build configurations added/requested?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Mar 29 06:45:05 UTC 2024

CW Holeman II via users <users at cppget.org> writes:

> How are new build configurations added/requested?

I assume you are talking about these: https://cppget.org/?build-configs

They are added by us (build2 project authors) by preparing and deploying
a VM.

Ideally we would like to add new configurations (new OS/compile/etc version)
as soon as they become available and theoretically this is possible (i.e.,
we don't need to wait for a new build2 release to change the set of machines).

Practically, however, we don't have the bandwidth to do this so instead,
for now, we add new machines shortly before the build2 release, which
happens around every 6 months (but can take longer on occasion). We aim
for the 0.17.0 release in a few months so there will be a round of upgrades
soon.

Also note that the new machines usually appear earlier on stage (we use
it as a testing ground). For example, there is already Fedora 39 config
(linux_fedora_39-gcc_13-bindist) that is not available on cppget.org:

https://build2.org/community.xhtml#stage

As for requesting, you can do it on this mailing list or any other channel:

https://build2.org/community.xhtml#help

Do you have anything specific in mind?